Installation and maintenance of cement tilesTips and informative videos
Tile installation - Cement tiles must be installed on a well levelled, clean and dry surface. Humid subsoil will cause fur deposits on the tile’s surface.
- Apply the adhesive evenly on the surface the tile is being laid on, using a large-toothed comb trowel. Also apply adhesive on the back of the tile.
- Position the tiles with your hands – without hammering – leaving a thin gap (1 or 2 mm, thickness of a filling-knife) for the joint. A thicker gap should be used with under-floor heating and outdoor installation (min 2mm).
- Once the tiles are installed and the cement adhesive dry, clean the surface by scrubbing it and clear with water. It will remove the thin layer of pigmented dust that can still cover the tiles.
Grouting - Never use dyed or dark grout, the pigments of grout fillers can penetrate the pores of the tiles and cause irreversible stains. Ideally use white or natural grey.
- Humidify the tiles with a moist sponge before grouting, this will limit the risk of staining and facilitate applying the grout.
- Fill the gap between the tiles using a filling-knife, without spreading the grout on tiles.
- The grout surplus must be cleaned immediately with a wet cloth/sponge.
- Never use acid (cement dissolver) to remove the excess or stains of grout.
Treatment with sealer (Mosaic Sealer) - The sealer is applied after the installation of the cement tiles, over a clean and dry floor.
- Mosaic Sealer is a solvent-based sealer that limits water and oil penetration.
- Mosaic Sealer impregnates the tile, reduces its porosity and keeps its natural matte aspect.
- It must be applied with a brush or a roller on a dry and clean surface. One or more successive applications until the tile is saturated. You may buff with a fine cloth to give it an even distribution.
- Do not apply too much. The excess would leave glistening stains on the surface (brush traces).
- Always try the sealer on a loose tile before applying it on the entire surface, in order to measure the grade of absorption of the tiles.
Maintenance of encaustic cement tiles - A regular use of wax (for marble) enhances the colours, helps create a patina and protects the cement tiles.
- Clean with natural PH Neutral soap and water.
- Never clean with harsh detergents, acid or alkaline.
- The toughest stains can be smoothed out by scrubbing with an abrasive like Scotch Brite and/or a solvent (White Spirit).
Clean an aged or stained encaustic cement tiles floor
- Construction stains, excess sealer, dull and uneven floor ... You can clean and restore your cement tiles with a floor buffing machine, fiber discs and water (do not use abrasives).
Heavy traffic floors, bars, shops and restaurants - These floors require special protection and attention. Please consult our technical team.
Cutting of cement tiles. - Cement tiles and plinths can easily be cut with a diamond disc machine, whether the cut is straight or at a 45 degree bevel.